We are the largest provider of veterinary care in the East Midlands. The main hospital is based at Pride Park in Derby and is home to a busy first opinion practice, a multidisciplinary referral service and an out-of-hours service, taking your skills to different locations.
We have 12 practice sites in Derby, Burton and Nottingham with well-equipped on-site facilities offering a high-quality local service. This role will support the Pride Veterinary centre and all of our Small Animal Practices.
At the local practice, you will be supported by a team of friendly and well-trained Client Care Assistants (CCAs) and practice nurses. You will work closely together each day to provide a welcoming and personal service to your loyal clients.
At the Pride Veterinary Centre, the CCAs will interact face-to-face with clients at the reception desks and man the telephones in the dedicated call centre. Clinic Nurses will support you on consulting days as well as running dedicated clinics and carrying out post-op check and second vaccinations. Hospital Nurses form the backbone of your team in Wards, Prep and Theatre, together with Kennel and Theatre Assistants. The multidisciplinary referral clinicians, residents and interns are happy to give case management advice and ensure smooth handover of cases patient who require specialist care, as well as enabling continuity when they are returned to you.
With these teams around you, it is important that you can build relationships and be confident in making decisions. Client facing skills are also vital for this role, allowing the creation of long-term relationships.
At the local practice you will spend the early morning and afternoon in the consulting room. Before your lunchbreak you will move to the prep room and theatre, where you can make use of the on-site laboratory, x-ray, ultrasound, dental machine and surgical kit.
At the Pride Veterinary Centre you will spend your day in one of three areas. In the Consulting Room you will be dealing directly with clients and interacting with the other vet teams. In Wards, you will manage the care of inpatients, communicating with owners, generating plans for diagnosis and treatment, and carrying out procedures on your cases. In Prep and Theatre you will carry out procedures such as dentals and imaging, while in theatre you perform a variety of surgical operations.
There are endless opportunities for you to expand your knowledge and improve your skills by working closely with other members of the first opinion and referral teams.
The role is full time, working 4 days per week, but part-time applicants may also fit the needs well. We have our own out-of-hours service so there are no night duties, but if you enjoy emergency medicine then we see a reasonable amount during the day and night cover for absences is available. You will take part in our weekend rota which works out as 1:5 Full Weekends and 1:5 Saturday Mornings, with lieu the next week (Thursday and Friday for a full and a half day for Saturday morning).
Required Skills and Experience:
Would be good to have:
- Experienced in small animal work (ideally a minimum of 2 years small animal practice)
- Great client communication skills
- Ability to make decisions, prioritise and delegate
- An interest in medicine and imaging
- Commitment to continuous development
Professional Perks and Benefits:
- Certificate or a desire to enrol
- Develop your own career plan and path: clinical vet, internships and residencies, management and running your own practice.
- Attractive remuneration package
- A 4-day week allowing a great work/life balance
- No out-of-hours (unless you want it)
- Excellent CPD allowance of £1,250 per year
- In-house training: weekly clinical clubs, monthly journal clubs, monthly CPD evenings, online learning portal
- RCVS and VDS membership paid plus 2 subscriptions of your choice.
- Birthday off work
- Increase in holiday allowance with service (extra day per year up to 5 years of service)
- Private health care
- Death in Service cover
- Practice focus on health and wellbeing
- Discount pet health scheme
- Company Sick Pay
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity Pay
- Relocation Packages Available
As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.