Part-time Veterinary Surgeon - Maternity Cover
Westwood Vets, Boston Spa
Up to £65,000 depending on experience plus benefits
Due to maternity leave Westwood Vets are looking for a small animal Veterinary Surgeon to join our progressive and friendly team on a temporary-Fixed term contract. The role would involve a mixture of consulting and surgical duties (although a consulting only role could be a possibility if desired). We encourage vets to work up cases to a high standard.
Work life balance that works for you!
We offer flexible working patterns that flex with you and your lifestyle. Whether you are looking to flex your rota hours to balance the school holidays, fix to navigate the school runs or just looking to strike that balance between home and work life. We can offer flexibility that actually works for you. We can offer anything from 11 – 29 hours per week. Typical day shifts run from 08:30 – 18:30 Monday – Friday. We do run a shared 1:4 Saturday rota, working 08:30 – 16:30, you’ll be glad to hear that we don’t open on Sundays!
- A salary of up to £65,000 (pro rata) depending on experience.
What’s on offer?
- Relocation support of up to £5000.
- True flexibility with hours/duties.
- Excellent work life balance, no out of hours required.
- Welcome bonus of up to £5000 (pro rata) for new hires.
Getting to know us
We have two branches: our main surgery at Boston Spa offers a variety of equipment including in house blood machines, digital x-ray, endoscopy, ultrasound as well as a laparoscopy kit. Our branch surgery in Garforth has in house bloods as well as a digital dental x-ray. Our vets split time between both sites giving you the option to experience rural village life at Boston Spa, as well as a bustling urban environment at their Garforth site. We are a friendly and longstanding team, with 8 vets and 8 nurses. One of our vets is a surgical certificate holder and another is working towards a medical certificate. We have a very supportive team and do achieve a good work-life balance and also arrange social events for the practice team. We’re lucky to have such a close knit team! Many of our staff have been with us for years, Sarah who’s our head RVN has worked here for over 35 years, Alice our CD had worked with us for over 10 years too! Three of our other vets have been with us for over 5 years as well.
The practice is situated in a lovely part of Yorkshire, with good access to the surrounding countryside but still the ability to get into the nearby cities of Leeds and York. We genuinely have something for everyone. We encourage staff to bring their dogs to work and there’s always someone on shift to have a coffee and a chat with, especially on the more challenging days.
Here’s what the team have to say about life at Westwood:
'I joined Westwood as a new grad 6 years ago after completing most of my EMS in the practice. Westwood is an incredibly supportive practice with a progressive attitude and a collaborative environment. Many staff members are undertaking certificates and learning new procedures. With a fantastic, competent nursing team and excellent client base we are able to offer exceptional care to all patients. I am still settled and happy in my first job and love working in such a dedicated, caring and capable team’. Lauren - Vet
What we’re looking for in you
We are looking for an experienced RCVS registered first opinion General Practitioner with previous experience in a small animal practice and who feels comfortable with most first opinion procedures. They would be working as part of an experienced team most of the time, but should be confident with some sole charge as this is the case on Saturdays.
The ability to communicate well with clients and colleagues is essential, as is a willingness to aim for high clinical standards. Our ideal candidate demonstrates an interest in supporting our more newly qualified Vets and practicing good medicine
Because our employee’s matter
We recognise that our people are fundamental to the success of our business. Investing in our people, premises and processes is at the heart of what we do. In addition to a competitive base salary, you will benefit from -
Work life balance
• 6.6 weeks annual leave (including bank holidays)
• Increasing holiday allowance based on length of service
• Your birthday as a paid day off
• Private medical insurance
• Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Initiatives focused on employee wellbeing
• Non-accidental injury support
• £1250 CPD allowance with 5 days paid pro rata
• Certificate support
• Learning and development opportunities via the IVC Evidensia Academy
• Access to Vetlexicon – our online encyclopaedia provider
• All our Vets & Nurses can apply for research funding
• All our Vets get £1000 per annum to spend via our Care Fund
• Infection Prevention and Control Programme
• Quality Improvement Programme
• BVA membership
• VDS cover
• Pawsome Benefits – reward gateway giving discounts and cashback with 100’s of retailers
• Pension – 5% Employee/3% Employer
• Discounted staff pet care
For a confidential chat or to discuss this role in more detail, please contact Marcus Alphonso, Talent Partner, on email@example.com / 07977242350.
Apply for this job
Any questions before applying?
Speak to Marcus Alphonso from our recruitment team who would be happy to help you with any questions you have before applying for this role.